Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lupe Fiasco and The Postal Service

This is basically the re-cap of my spring faves. Starting with my spring obession: The Postal Service's Give Up. Ok ok I realize this album came out in 2003, but I was a bit behind the curve on this one. Truthfully I've been a little too immersed in underground hip hop since 2002 so it's not really a surprise that it took me this long. All that notwithstanding I absolutely love the first half of this album! It loses me a little bit towards the end, but overall it is a great album. Ben Gibbard's almost strained vocals work perfectly over the glitchy electronic soundscapes.
Lupe Fiasco's The Cool was another great spring fave of mine. I was a bit reluctant to get into Lupe due to his commercial success, but after much urging by trusted sources I went out and bought a copy. Am I glad I did! Lupe clearly defies the stereotypes of popular rap by producing intelligent music with a mass appeal. His charisma and lyrical skill shine through on The Cool making it one of the better rap albums in the past year.

No comments: